We encounter all kinds of loud sounds every day. For many years, hearing protection was neglected in many cases where it should have been used: industry, sports, indoor and outdoor work, construction, music venues, and more. Now, we use hearing protection for all these purposes.
There are several styles of hearing protection products we recommend, but the two basic types are earplugs and headphones or earphones. Hearing protection products are variants of these two types. Again, you should always wear hearing protection when there is a chance you will be exposed to dangerous noise levels. When in doubt, use hearing protectors.
Most workplaces are aware of the need for hearing protection (along with other health requirements like eye protection and protective clothing, where applicable) and are required to provide adequate hearing protection products. In most cases, workers or visitors are given these to use at the time. However, in many environments out in the world, we are not aware of the noise until it is too late. Be aware of any noise problems you will encounter in this kind of situation.
Here are several specialized and standard hearing protection products:
- Earplugs come in many sizes and shapes. They can be separate or connected with a string. They are used any time you are in loud environments that do not require headphones.
- Headphones/earphone/earmuffs are used in the loudest environments: shooting and hunting, airport fields, heavy construction equipment and others.
- Hunting/shooting: these earplugs or headphones are ported to allow some sound to enter during times that shooting is not happening. When a shot is fired, the concussive shockwave closes this port and stops sound waves from entering the ear canal.
- Swimming/diving: Many swimmers lose hearing from the constant pressure of water entering the ear canal. This is especially true for divers. Diving earplugs protect against water pressure.
- Musicians: Specialized earplugs and earphones are designed to allow musicians to hear the music without being exposed to the loudest sound waves. Ear protection is a necessity for those working in these venues like waiters, bartenders and technicians.
- Construction: While these environments are loud and boisterous, they can also be concussive. Maximum ear protection is necessary that protects against both noise types.
Call Lowe Audiology today for advice about your specific hearing protection needs.
Our Selection of Hearing Protection Products:
Hunting, shooting and sudden noise. A filter instantaneously closes when damaging noise levels are reached. Allows essentially normal hearing at all other times.
Ideal for performing musicians and concert-goers. Also great for flight attendants, bartenders, waiters, dental professionals. Allows wearer to hear sounds accurately, but at reduced levels. Three filter options available: 9dB, 15dB or 25dB.
For swimming and showering – and they FLOAT! Also provide superb noise reduction.
Offers comfortable and uninterrupted rest. Also great for shift workers with non-traditional hours.
Designed with a hollow canal for under helmet use to reduce wind buffeting.
Designed to prevent surfer’s ear and swimmer’s ear caused by exposure to cold water and wind. The floatable material is molded with a sealed membrane spanning the sound bore that keeps cold water and air out of the ear canal, but allows for conversation and hearing while in the ear.
Ideal for high-noise industrial environments.
For use with any bud/button style earphones.
Amplification for situational awareness, as well as noise attenuation when you pull the trigger.
Offers two modes, game, which is optimized for intermittent shots, and clay mode, which is optimized for continued shots.
Offers standard digital features and provides protection in windy environments.